Friday, November 19, 2010

Booty: Surprise!

It's Friday, and I’m seriously happy to be off the research train for a day. It has been a few weeks of some pretty intense tracking and study for your humble hostess – not only in the blogosphere but in the land of historical fiction as well – and it is past time for a break. Thankfully, we’ve today’s unusual gem.

The video below was spotted by the First Mate over at the Facebook
page of pirate Brethren and friends of Triple P Under The Black Flag (find their website here and follow them on Twitter here). The song is by the group Running Wild, of whom I must confess to knowing absolutely nothing. The images, however, are from a movie with which I am very familiar: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. So really, what could go wrong?

Well, if you’re at all like me, a thing or two. I got about a minute into this and had to pause it, mute the sound, and put on some Boccherini. There was something terribly jarring to my sensibility about the combination of modern metal and early 19th century seafaring. Now, before you go pegging me as a music “snob” allow me to say in all honesty and humility that I have a pretty eclectic musical pallet. I’m equally at home with Metallica and Mozart, Billie Holiday and Bauhaus, Danzig and Dr. Dre. Come to think of it, that sounds like an awesome mix for the old iPod.


But when I’m dealing with either O’Brian or my own fiction, I want the music of the era from which the story comes. Which, of course, is another reason why I love M & C. All the classical music is pulled directly from the novels, the popular music is well researched and accurate and the incidental music, by none other than former Icehouse front man Iva Davis, works seamlessly with the other two. Basically what I’m saying is I’m sure Running Wild rocks. But Jack Aubrey rocks, as we used to say, way harder. Enjoy Brethren. And happy Friday.

6 comments:

Charles L. Wallace said...

Aww, that was excellent.
Thank you, Pauline!

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Charles. It was too; I cannot get enough of that!

Timmy! said...

Ahoy, Pauline! You can also "like" Under The Black Flag on Facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Under-The-Black-Flag/103540951451

That's where I saw this video originally.

I have to agree with you about the music, Pauline. You know that I am less eclectic and much more into the metal than you are, but I too found the music to be not the best match with the scenes from the film.

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Timmy! I knew it wasn't just me.

Keith said...

Excellent video, thank you. The modern music spoils it for me, so I turn the sound off, not a fan of heavy....whatever it is! But love the video.
Regards.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Le Loup and I agree. Plus, I think it might be time to watch M & C again this weekend. And maybe pull out an O'Brian novel for Sunday reading. That's good times.