Sunday, March 10, 2013

Seafaring Sunday: Unhappy Nuptials

March 10, 1787: Horatio Nelson marries Frances Nisbet at Montpelier Estate on the Island of Nevis. Prince William Henry gave the bride away. Nelson wrote to his friend William Locker shortly after that he was "morally certain [Fanny] will continue to make me a happy man for the rest of my days." In matters of the heart, however, Nelson proved a poor prognosticator.

Header: Fanny Nelson by an anonymous artist of the British School c 1800 via Wikipedia

6 comments:

Undine said...

Ah, poor Fanny. She probably had her flaws, but I always felt bad for her. It's hard to think of a worse public humiliation than knowing the whole world is seeing that your husband is besotted with another woman. She didn't deserve that.

Pauline said...

I agree with you, Undine. It only made it worse that a national hero and "role model" was making a fool of himself a la our modern celebrities. Rest in peace, Fanny; you've earned it.

Dale Burr said...

Pauline, you have, once again, posted on a subject I have studied myself.

I have a two-part biography on Nelson, that has, just this week, been published by the Editors at H2G2.

The Early Years
http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A87779425
and
The Years of Fame and Glory.
http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A87778967

Fanny and Lady Emma are both covered in some detail. You might find the fate of Lady Hamilton and their daughter after his death of interest. On the whole I would have rather been Fanny.

Dale

Pauline said...

Thank you for the links, Dale. As always, you've added a lot to this post.

Poor Emma; she didn't turn out very well in the long run. But then, as they say at the Montessori schools, she made "bad choices."

Timmy! said...

She doesn't look very happy in the painting either, Pauline...

Pauline said...

I'll be honest: I've never seen a "happy looking" portrait of Fanny Nelson. But then, as Undine noted, she didn't have a very happy life...