Friday, January 27, 2012

Booty: Not Just a Job

Of course sailing is one of Triple P’s favorite subjects. There is truly nothing as exhilarating as being aboard a ship with fair weather above, favorable wind in the sails and a following sea. If she’s chasing a prize, so much the better. It goes without saying that you all share that passion or you wouldn’t be here now. So when I saw that the Historical Seaport in Grays Harbor, Washington is offering the chance to sail aboard not one but two tall ships as a paid crew member, I figured I had no choice but to pass the news on to the Brethren.


The beautiful Lady Washington and her sister Hawaiian Chieftain are in need of a First Mate, and a cook. The First and Slushy would sail aboard both tall ships, participating in the frequent mock battles and pirate cruises that have made the ships so popular up and down the west coast of the U.S. Full details and how to apply are available here at the Historical Seaport’s blog.

Even if you don’t plan to apply, click over and follow the blog for updates on events and fundraisers, as well as beautiful pictures of these two wonderful ships. The Historic Seaport is keeping our seafaring heritage alive with a little help, I hasten to add, from our mates Blue Lou and the lovely Zane. That is something to cheer for.

Header: Fan photo by Bob Jensen via the Historical Seaport blog

5 comments:

Timmy! said...

Ahoy, Pauline! While I don't plan to apply (for obvious reasons) I will say Huzzah! for Blue Lou and Zane!

Pauline said...

I might apply if it were at all reasonable to get there daily. And Huzzah! indeed for all the volunteers and staff to keep history alive at the Historical Seaport.

Blue Lou Logan said...

I have only been on the Lady under way while going through the Ballard Locks into Seattle's Lake Union, not on the open ocean. I would _love_ to crew, but, you know, there's my job. Still, I know a fair amount of present or former crew. Oddly, whenever they pull into the Center for Wooden Boats, they always want to go to Hooters. I can't explain it.

Pauline said...

Yeah, see, jobs; one of the reasons our ancestors went to sea (third only to "debt" and "wives").

And seriously, what is up with the Hooters thing... :)

Timmy! said...

Hooters make you happy. C'mon Pauline. Everyone knows that...

;-D