Friday, January 22, 2010

Booty: Made Of Awesome

Brethren, I'm feeling my age today. There's a good reason for that but I've no intention of burdening you with it. But indulge me a bit, if you will, as I walk down old nostalgia lane.

When I was young, the original Star Trek had already made it's way into syndication. This meant that it was on at just the right time for a 2nd grader: 5:00 PM. After homework but before dinner, a bath and bedtime. Score! My brother and I loved the show and would sit in our living room, as close to the TV as Mom would allow, and absorb every minute of hackneyed moralizing, mini skirts, sailor speak and loyal friendships. I still have a sneaking suspicion that Patrick O'Brian watched the occasional episode of Star Trek. The Kirk/Spock - Aubrey/Maturin comparisons are just too insane to be coincidence.

And, of course, that was the biggest thing. Being aboard USS Enterprise the space ship was like, well, being aboard USS Enterprise the sailing ship. For a little girl in love with seafaring there was nothing to compare with all those naval references. Even then I understood that being aboard a blue water ship in the great age of sail was very much like cruising in infinite space. You never knew what or who you might run into. The world was as vast as space then, and in our ever-shrinking modern version sometimes it's hard to imagine that.

Star Trek helped me with my imagination and my understanding. Sure, it's cheesy, but you love what you love, don't you? So here's the booty for today:
Back when Shatner was awesome. Plus he kinda looks like my Dad so, there's that.

Thank each and every one of you for joining me on this cruise, Brethren. Stick with me; there is so much more to come. See you tomorrow for Sailor Mouth Saturday!

9 comments:

WasABuc said...

Happy b'day sis (a bit early, though). I absolutely love that poster of "dad". He reminds me so much of Jumbo Jack its not even funny. Kinda' painful, actually.

WasABuc said...

...and remember when all of us in the old 'hood in Newport Hills would get together & play Star Trek? Man, good times!

Pauline said...

Ahoy, WasABuc and thankee indeed! I appreciate your thoughts. Shatner looked a lot like Dad back then, for sure! And yes, I remember doing the "Star Trek" thing in the "back forty". Good times if ever there were.

dejacobs said...

Paula,

Happy Birthday from all the Jacobs's, and may your Saints (grumble, grumble) give you a special gift Sunday Night!

Love always,
Dwight, Leslie, Connor and Hayley

Ps: Keep up the great blog...

Pauline said...

Ahoy entire Jacobs Family of Frisco, TX! Thankee one and all. I really appreciate your support!

Timmy! said...

Ahoy, Pauline! Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy... Funny post (and a good for the day before your b'day)... My earliest memories of Star Trek were in 2nd grade also... living in CT, sledding and building snow forts with my bro'... good times is right.

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Timmy! And that's kinda my point. For those of us from the "lost" generation (post-boomer), Star Trek in syndication was big fun, despite the "cheese". Awesome.

Pam Keyes said...

Arrgh, I feel so old and creaky. I was watching Star Trek when the episodes were *new*, I had a major crush on Captain Kirk all through elementary school. When I got to college, Shatner was just starting his Trek tours, and I tried to get him to go to Oklahoma, but his asking price was $10,000, including airfare, hotel, meals, etc. The budget available was half that, so it was a no go, but oh, what could have been. Years later, after Shatner got wide beamed, I got an autograph from him, finally.
Hope you have a nice birthday tomorrow :}

Pauline said...

Ahoy, Pam! There you are. I've missed you for awhile. I was all into Capt. Kirk - probably that Dad thing too but I won't go all Electra here on the blog. Thank you for the B-Day wishes. I plan to enjoy!